When you consider I've grown up in a 'thou shalt NOT' church, I think I've spent most of my life around those Christians who think of God's word as a tool they can use at their own discretion. As a result, I am less likely to shout you down with quotes from the Bible or with my interpretation of what the verse means. It is far more likely that I will share with you what great things God has done for me. I will likely share my before and after story and share the life lesson(s) I gleaned from that journey. I have learned the power of God's Words are more in His prompting what I say and less about how many Bible verses I can quote in a moments time.
I am all for sharing God's Word. I will quote scripture when I feel the nudge to do so. Never say never, because there are occasional miracles when I can recall a specific scripture God showed me as I learned a specific lesson. But, I am far more likely to find myself encouraging someone who has already made a decision to accept Christ than someone who is undecided or saying no. I realize my literalist mentality may not bode well for me trying to 'win' anyone over (but I am growing in this area - learning to remain open to His will and His way!) . I am black and white and see very few shades of gray. But I have learned that I am not judge so.... I keep my 'thoughts' to myself as I ask God 'What do YOU say about that? I don't know if I'm being fair here or not, so what do YOU say or what do YOU see here that I am missing?" He often gives me the glimpse of truth on the matter at hand by pointing me to an area in my life where I can see that matter more clearly. I often needed the lesson learned anyway, so..... I continue to learn.
There are those in my life who do share God's Word with all they come in contact with. I do think that is a gift too - and the ones in my life who tend to truly minister in that way are not sharing God's Word in a demeaning way, but in an uplifting way. I respect them so much more than those who seek to preach AT others. I believe that there are those who are skilled in God's word, and that gift is vital! I am not naive enough to think the way God stirs me is the only way He flows. I'm just finding freedom in the simple fact that I do not have to be anyone other than who He's called, and equipped me to be.
I do believe most have good intentions, when sharing God's word. But my journey has left me embarrassed by the 'compassionate' Christians out there at times. Some are skilled swordsmen and others are trying to share the truth and yet for some reason their sword use feels more like tossing daggers. I find myself in more of the 'duck and cover' mode when I'm around them, and not because their 'word' is ringing true but... because it seems to be a little more of their opinion than a direct quote. I feel worn out and confused by their banter.
Those who share God's word with a sincere AND humble heart - they are the true swordsmen. All the rest are either just clumsily finding their way in understanding the word or think they have it together and want to squash those who do not measure up to their own self-made standard! (And there are a select few who use God's word to justify their own goofs - they use His word to try and shut you up from stating the obvious - their mouth isn't lining up with the fruit in their life. But I digress.....) :)
Bottom line is - when someone is ministering... truly ministering - God can use any and all means to speak through them. It CAN be by you sharing the scriptures in the Bible and it CAN be by you sharing what Great and Mighty things God has done in your life. There are countless other methods God uses to minister too! The fact is, if He is the Author of the conversation - His method will perform, even if you are clueless that you've made an impact at all. There will always be Power when you say the Words HE prompts you to say. The key to it all is whether God inspires the moment for someone or if the person 'sharing' decided that so and so needs a good talking to! There is no need for a cookie-cutter method or a script. He knows the heart of the individual He is trying to stir and thus He knows the exact recipe to bring healing to their lives. When we get out of His way and let Him direct our steps, the possibilities are endless! God's ways are always higher and better and He is so amazing to keep our walk with Him exciting! He mixes up how He flows so that you do not become stagnant and bored with Him. He is the Great Romancer after all - He knows how to speak to our hearts, beautifully, every time! HIS WORDS NEVER FAIL!
No comments:
Post a Comment